Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sorry to mither you but today is my whinge day!




I’ve turned into a right old moaning crab but the creatures I’m referring to are like droids with claws and relating to humans is not their forte.

Welcome to the “philsaurus” – Yes he did! We were there doing what we shouldn’t have been doing and Phil saw us.

The focus words in today’s edition of the Philsaurus are – whinge and mither.

It is with some regret that I have to mither you with my grumbling for if I don’t get it off my chest and have a good old whinge I’m not going to feel better! So please accept my apologies now before I launch into my yawping. There’s a certain lamentable organisation that exists in corporations throughout England and the rest of the world described by two letters of the alphabet. I’m going to give some bellyache over this matter because they’ve achieved nothing but putrid rhubarb and enough sour grapes to give me cause to air my grievances. I protest their complete incompetence. I’m determined to bleat on and on about it and make a big-stink of it because they deserve to be picked at. I’ll complain until the cows come home! The criticism is entirely justified. I’ll squawk like a wounded crow, I’ll carp on until they whimper an abundance of grovelling apologies for their pathetic performances. Please forgive me for yammering like this, for droning like a dying bee. My gripes carry a lot of emotional pain and they’ve turned me into a twisted old kvetching twat! I know! I know! I’ve turned into a right old moaning crab! But it’s them twits in that unmentionable place that have made me blow off like this. Were it not for all the hoo-ha I wouldn’t be senselessly mewling in my corner of the world. Let me give them my beef! I’ll nag my disputes right into their nerveless shrivelled little ears until they pule enough tears to drown themselves in. I’ll cavil at them and make them go and snivel and whine to their devil. I will grouch about them in nit-picking detail for every one of their sins. Those repugnant scumbags will feel the wrath of my jeremiad! And who knows if after my objurgation these scallywag droids could begin to have the remotest comprehension of what relating to humans is really supposed to be about! Sorry to have mithered you my dear readers for going on and on like the Ariston advert and for having to read of my bemoaning. I know you didn’t have to take all my flak. But I also know you’ll not object because you my dear readers have compassion and understanding because you are all human unlike those insolent cretins with whom I have had to bear great suffering! There! I shall end my repining! I feel so much better now after that good old whinge! It’s what we British people are good at.

I think a philsaurus is better and more interesting than a thesaurus! Do you agree? You see, if Phil saw us then he’s decent and he wouldn’t tell a living soul, but if they saw us then we’ve had it! Were crucified! Because anything human is NOT related to by that department and they’d just crucify you!

Whinge 1

Whinge (v.) is a Northern English dialect variation of the word whine meaning to complain feebly or peevishly. From the Old English hwinan meaning “to whiz or whistle through the air” and used only to describe the noise arrows make. It also comes from the word hwinsian to describe the “whine” of dogs. Thus the word is ultimately of imitative origin. In Old Norwegian the word hvina means to whiz. In Germam the word wiehern means to neigh. Whine first appeared in English in 1530 and as a noun from 1633. Whinge actually derivates from the northern form of the Old English word hwinsian.

Examples: (1) Oh the silly old man was whining on like a pathetic dog! (2) Listen woman! Quit the whingeing and hear what I’ve got to say first! (3 slang ) What a whinge-bag that aunt of yours is!

Mither 2

Mither (v.) is Mancunian dialect meaning to bother (pronounced my-ther). Example: stop mithering me! The Scottish use this word to mean mother but pronounced mi-ther like the ‘i’ in bigger. I can’t help but wonder if perhaps the Manchester word for mither comes from the Scottish one in the sense that a mother will nag in a typical mothering ‘whinge-bag’ kind of way.

1. Online etymology dictionary

2. Phil’s noggin.

Picture courtesy of www.crackcomics.com



Comments from Yahoo 360

(4 total)

Now that I live in Devon I often have to explain the meaning of "Mither" to baffled Devonians. My wife, a southerner by birth, loves the word and doesn't know how she coped without it!

Tuesday 24 April 2007 - 10:58AM (EDT)

Crackers and cheese are excellent with whinge, I mean whine, I mean wine.....love you , little brother....

Tuesday 24 April 2007 - 11:46AM (CDT)


crackers and cheese! i need 2 go grocery shopping..

where have u been Mr. Phil? i miss your cookie crumbs but mostly i miss your Toes!

Tuesday 24 April 2007 - 10:24PM (CDT)

Language fascinates me, Phil - what we don't realise about English is that it 'borrows' from so many other languages, and is so efficient, it'll probably outlive the human race -- based solely on the fact that it's so adaptable.

The language in my lifetime has changed considerably - to the point that kids from today likely would have a hard time communicating with kids of my era, and vice-versa.

I find that amazing!

Tuesday 14 August 2007 - 03:20PM (PDT)

No comments: