Sunday, March 18, 2007

Why do it with four when you can do it with two!

The Ingenuity of the Vietnamese!

Warning: some viewers may find the following picture distressing. Pig lovers especially.
Those who enjoy bacon chops may find themselves no longer enjoying them. All I can
say is, I'm sorry, I alone cannot change a country's culture overnight.

There were ten little piggies... unfortunately, this is a very common reality in Vietnam
and I've seen exactly the same thing with puppy dogs too.

And he guarantees that not a single one will be broken on the way to the shop. Which
on Vietnam's roads is beyond a miracle.

If I've ruined your taste for bacon chops for life... then maybe too I've done the same
for your taste of poultry. I'm most sorry...

It's prudent always to carry two spare tyres on Vietnam's roads. Let me assure you!

Rear view mirrors are absolutely essential if you want to get about safely on the
roads of Vietnam.

Your Vietnamese fishmonger can sell you pretty good shark fin soup.

Who's needs air conditioning when a couple of blocks of ice will do the trick.

The Vietnamese plumber will replace your drain pipes in no time!

You never know! You might need it in the event of a fire!

Who needs a roofrack when there's a couple of shoulders to lean on?

These two do a good home from home washing up service and will accept fish as payment.

He claims to be the world's leading expert in carrying red baskets on two wheels.

I do believe her mother will be impressed with the Mother's Day gift.

Well, the vegetables are really cheap at Vietnam's markets and he just couldn't resist
the bargains!

Vietnam's hula hoop world champion doesn't need a car to get around.




Plenty of room for a family of five with Vietnam's standard mode of transport and when
the baby comes along there's room at the front for him too!

And with that I bid you all a happy day!


Comments from Yahoo 360

(9 total)

:) yeah, 2 are good enough

Sunday 18 March 2007 - 02:57PM (GMT)

i sometimes see these scenes on streets, but seeing the whole different means of transportation on 1 page really makes me feel different :|

Sunday 18 March 2007 - 10:50PM (ICT)

Hey Phil, I've seen similar scences in Thailand & Malaysia. It's what you can see in a developing country. Most of those in your pictures are the poors, they are not well educated enough to know the rules. Moreover, the needs for money for supporting their family urge them to be in such situations. I believe that noone want to risk their lives and other people lives on road like that...And yet, even the policemen are there, they may not prevent all of those... I just feel pity for those people...

Sunday 18 March 2007 - 07:04PM (CDT)

  • Anonymous
  • Offline

wow i am once again Reminded just how spoiled i really am. if i would have been eating fish or pork or fowl i might have been grossed out... but CQ had fixed me a big juicy Ribeye (wellDone) for dinner.. good thing i didn't see any cows...

i do have a weak stomach!

Sunday 18 March 2007 - 07:24PM (PDT)

wow, interesting blog. Yes the Vietnamese are very creative.

Monday 19 March 2007 - 02:28AM (PDT)

Thank you all. In spite of some of the obvious dangers, I have never ceased to be amazed at their ingenuity for finding so many different ways for carrying stuff. I appreciate that when the only means of transport you can afford is a motorbike, and renting a van is way beyond your means, then these solutions shown above become the only ones feasible.

It actually gives me great admiration for these people. I don't pity them, I can only wish that people, the government or whatever could channel their talents for the benefit of their very worthy country.

Monday 19 March 2007 - 12:58PM (GMT)

Absolutely amazing. Fuel efficient, though.

Tuesday 20 March 2007 - 03:22AM (PDT)

Well, those pictures remind me of India. may be a bit different, but in essence it is the same.

Sunday 25 March 2007 - 02:34AM (EST)

lol. What a cool blog? Hilarious!!!

Wednesday 28 March 2007 - 07:41PM (CEST)

No comments: