Monday, September 18, 2006

Chinese Shakespeare - the Banquet







Last night my wife and I went to see Chinese film ‘the Banquet’ with English subtitles. This film has all the hallmarks of a Shakespearean tragedy with a mixture of Macbeth, Hamlet, and Romeo and Juliet thrown in. I loved the cinematography, choreography and the music some of which was performed by the BBC orchestra. I’m sure this film will make more than its money’s worth in China alone. It was kind of a theatrical type of Lord of the Rings movie. Perhaps I missed something obvious but it seemed to be left with a catch at the end. Given who was left alive I couldn’t work out who killed ‘her’ right at the very end (I won’t say who because I wouldn’t want to give too much away for those who want to see it). Yes I loved it. And if you like Shakespearean tragedies you’ll love this film too.


Comment from Yahoo 360

(1 total)

I'm waiting to see this film in Vietnam. I just saw Superman Returns.

Monday 18 September 2006 - 08:46AM (PDT)

No comments: